12.18.2013

Preparation precedes performance.

If I had a single superpower, it would be that I could state an athlete and could immediately acquire their peak fitness-level. I know that this sounds like a dorky superpower, but let me explain my thought process. If you were a collegiate athlete, you could simply state the name of a professional athlete and suddenly gain their fitness. You would never have to worry about training and you could win several, if not, all or your races. You would win accolades from your school, such as scholarships, or even championships. Fortunately, the superpower that I mentioned does exist; it is called dedication.

I went for a run for the first time in about a month. Prior to my run, I told myself that I am going to run sub 1:30 for the half-marathon distance (13.1 miles). A sub 1:30 performance calls for the runner to average 6:51 min/mile. I even went out on a limb and looked at the pace that would be required to run sub 1:20 (which is 6:06 min/mile). The most I have ran at the sub 1:20 pace is roughly five miles, let alone for 2.5x the distance. Nonetheless, I have established my goals and my winter and spring quarters are slightly lighter in terms of academic load. I even put a countdown at the bottom of this post.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Lao Tzu

Have a good day,

NT




No comments: