8.04.2013

GRE update and potential school list.

As I have mentioned before in previous posts, I plan on attending graduate school and I think I have decided which schools I am going to apply for! But before I can send off my applications and enjoy the agonizing wait period of either acceptance or denial, I must first take the GRE. The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is a standardized test given to future applicants of graduate schools. There are three main sections: verbal, quantitative, and analytical. The verbal and quantitative sections are comprised of ~40 questions each. The verbal section focuses on vocabulary and comprehension of passages, while the quantitative section is all math-based (like the math you would have seen on the SAT's). The analytical portion is merely two 30-minute essays, one being an argumentative and the other being an "issue-based" essay.

I started studying for the GRE last week and so far things have been going well! Being a math guy, I do not have too many problems with the difficulty of the math, but I tend to make slip-ups here and there. I wish I had the same amount of confidence on the verbal section as I do on the math, because I would be sitting pretty if I did! My vocabulary bank does not have a lot of cash in it, but slowly and surely, I am depositing a few dollars here and there in order to help increase my score. I am taking the test three weeks from monday, so wish me luck!

My list for school is narrowed down to four. I know that does not seem like a lot, but I have faith that I will get into one of the Ph.D programs I am applying for.
Go Cougs! 

School #1. Washington State University 

To be honest, I love the feel of a college town. There is no rustle&bustle of a city and everyone seems to take more pride of the campus. My sister is an alumni from WSU and I know she would be thrilled to have me follow in her footsteps. Also my undergraduate research advisor is a 4x WSU grad (Two bachelors, a masters, and his doctorate). His advisor STILL works there (he has been there since 1957!) so I am potential looking into his lab or another professor's who does research on inhibitors for various cancers.

School #2. University of Washington
Go Dawgs!

Being raised in Washington, this is the school that every "intelligent person" plans on attending. Whether they get their undergrad there, their professional degree (MD, PharmD, DDS, etc), or attend graduate school there, UW has a noted reputation of being one of the best schools in the state. Now if I get accepted there, do I choose reputation over familiarity (not that I know Pullman extremely well)? Do I want to be the only native English-speaking kid in my class? (That was a joke people...). Nonetheless, I know that I would receive an outstanding education there, but I do not know if I want to live in the city.

School #3. University of California, Davis
Go Aggies!

Now this is my "longshot" school. There have been two other students from CWU that have attended their graduate chemistry program because they, similar to UW, have a reputation of being successful when it comes to publications and financial assistance. My one draw back is the location; it is in California! My girlfriend would feel obligated to move to California with me if I decided to attend UC Davis. I do not want to keep her away from potential job opportunities [in WA] because I want to spend more time in school, but it'd be pretty hard to not see her for long stints of time. I am going to apply there and whatever happens, happens.


School #4. Central Washington University

Go Wildcats!

Now you may be asking yourself, why would he want to attend graduate where he got his undergraduate degree? Why wouldn't he want to travel to another school and get more experience? I do want to attend other schools, but I need to stay realistic and if other schools do not want me, then I will stay at Central and get my Masters (rather than a Ph.D). Now that is even assuming I can get into the graduate school program here (which I think I could, but I want to keep all options open). I love Central and I love the faculty that we have there. I know most of them fairly well and would love to continue my passion for chemistry in the place where I first fell in love with it.



Guess what everybody?!?! My birthday is in three days! I am going to be double-deuces (22) haha.

Anyway, thank you for reading this and have a good day!

NT


No comments: