4.25.2011

Bad Case of the Mondays.

Photobucket

For the first time in two and a half weeks, I actually went to Track practice today. I have been failing to attend, not because I have been overloaded with homework, but because I have become severely unmotivated. Why should I train six (sometimes seven) days of the week when I am not competing? I don't understand how people have that self-motivation; that internal drive that I so badly wish I could have.

I went to practice, getting there at our usual meeting time, and listened to Coach talk about the previous meet and discuss how successful everyone was. He listed off the names of everyone who PR'd and as a team, we congratulate them. The aspect of the team meeting that made it more significant was the fact that after every name was called, the whole team clapped and cheered for each other. It made me feel that we are a legitimate team, not just a bunch of athletes.

The workout for the mid-distance guys was a three mile easy run, followed by a short interval workout consisting of (200-300-200-100) at faster than 800m pace. Knowing my current fitness level, I decided that I would do the three mile run, but then instead of the intervals, I would do an easy field loop (3/4 of a mile) plus a lap (1/4 mile) so that my total for the day would be four miles. With about a 1/2 mile left to go in the three mile run, my legs were beginning to feel a little heavy. Pretty pathetic considering I am suppose to be in decent shape, yet a three mile run is feeling worse than 400m repeats do. Nonetheless, I cruised through it, breathing more heavily than I would have liked, and proceeded to do my additional mile on the grass. I chose to do it barefoot because my shoes had been bugging me during my run. They seem to be getting really loose, not sure why though. Afterwords, I went and iced my shins for a brief amount of time, changed, and headed out the door.


No comments: