8.26.2011

The Deal.

Photobucket
On Tuesday evening I went on a run with my friend Kyle, whom I met at school. He lived in my dorm and we met through a series of mutual friends. Now when I first met him, he had told me he ran XC and Track in high school. Turns out, he was "JV" status, running times like 5:40 for the 1600m, 22 minute 5k times, etc. Over my years of running, I know that anyone can become a great runner as long as they have the dedication and drive to do so. Kyle has that drive. Once he finds "his groove," he sticks to it and can crank out the miles.

On our way to running venue, (Ruston Way along the Tacoma waterfront) we began talking about our lifetime goals for running. He had already ran two marathons and three half's, so just another marathon wasn't gonna cut if for him. Although one of his goals did stand out to me. During high school, breaking five minutes for the mile was a goal that haunted me for years. My sophomore year I ran 5:20, junior year I ran 5:06. I didn't run a competitive 1600m during my senior year of Track, but I did run a TT (Time-trial) a few days after I ran my PR for the 800m (2:06). I ended up shattering that barrier, running a 4:42. I knew that I was in good shape; I just lacked a strong mentality when it comes to pain tolerance. I knew right when he said that, that I would help him try and make his goal a reality.

Kyle also said that he wanted to do an Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile run). Completing an Ironman has been a goal of mine since I started swimming last year. Maybe when I turn 25, I'll complete an Ironman (Five years to go). The swimming portion would be the hardest for me, not sure why, but swimming for long periods of time is kind of boring to me. I can go hammer out a 25-30 mile bike ride like it's nothing, but swimming for more than 10 minutes at a time seems like torture.

We ended up getting on the subject of ultra-marathons (Any race distance that is more than the standard 26.2 miles). Then the question was uttered.... "50 miler???" Fifty miles is a LONG distance. That's the distance from Seattle WA to Olympia WA. To be running that far in one sitting seems daunting to most; even 26.2 miles seems daunting to the average American. After Kyle said "50 miles," he immediately put out his hand and we made a deal.

Here is The Deal:
1. During the Summer of 2013 (Before our Senior Year of College), we will compete in a 50 mile race preferably on trails.
2. Prior to that race, during the Summer of 2012 (next summer), we will compete in a 50 kilometer race, (31.2 miles) preferably on trails.

We are hoping to find some races during the summer, rather than during the school year, so that it does not interfere with my racing schedule for XC/Track, and his work schedule. So far the White River 50-miler, which is held at the end of July, is looking to be our race. Not only is it a local race (half-hour from my house; 45 minutes from his), but it fits right into our time schedule. If all goes according to plan, this should be an awesome adventure for the both of us.

No comments: