8.22.2011

First Day.

Photobucket
Four years ago today, I was sitting in the middle of the Emerald Ridge High School's upper gym listening to Mirk, Kevin, Brianna, Livia, Courtney, and Roberto read off the Captain's Log. It was the first day of Cross-Country practice. The coach, Gary Osborne, was standing along side them periodically making jokes and busting out into rhymes whenever given the opportunity. It was a surreal experience cause I hadn't been on a team since seventh grade track, (which didn't go well). It was a point in time where I felt nervous, yet excited. Unprepared, but ready to get started.

Two years ago today, I wasn't sitting in the middle of the gym floor; I was standing. I was reading off the Captain's Log to the underclassmen, while they were giving me their semi-attention. I was now the person that all the sophomores would look up to (or they would talk s*** about how much faster they were than me and how they would beat me). No matter what they thought, I was in charge and ready for that season to start.

Now I am just the "weird" alumni that occasionally comes back to practices. I don't think that I am weird. I would have loved to see more alumni come back and run with us. People like Rick (School record holder in the 1600m and DII All-American in Track) or E-man (School record holder in the 400m and 800m and 3x DIII National Champion in the 800m). I have so much knowledge that I can pass on them, information that will help them become more successful. But if they don't wanna hear it, then it's their loss.

No comments: